Saturday, February 6, 2010

Good Noms gingersnaps.

I was craving cookies and seeing as we were snowed in completely (everything was closed), I just made my own. Thank goodness for a stocked baking cabinet. I will never stop recommending buying 2-3 different types of flour, sugar, and all your spices at once, even if you don't need them (provided you bake on some sort of regular basis).

Gingersnaps:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 cup white sugar for decoration
I skipped the sugar dip on some of the cookies (because honestly, the thought of so much sugar scares me). I even reduced the white sugar from 3/4 cup called for in the original recipe. These cookies were great starting with the dough. It was the perfect moist, but not sticky consistency. The King Arthur whole wheat flour hides perfectly in the rich brown color, so you can even sneak these to your less health conscious friends - they won't be able to tell! I didn't use proper measurements for the spices, my teaspoons came out heaping, and the smell of the baking/done cookies was insanely tantalizing. Not for those of us that don't like spice, though. If you want less fat, you can substitute apple sauce for half the butter. They are super soft and chewy when done. Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment